Wednesday, July 05, 2006

It was so hot outside

It was a hot, humid night, and I was as sticky as melted caramel -- perfect conditions to spend the fourth of July with the Dave Matthews Band! I cruised down to Virginia Beach last night to check out the concert, and first I just have to point out that I am on some kind of sick streak in timing these things. Traffic was light, and I pulled into the parking lot shortly after 8:00. I bought a ticket from a group of women that just wanted to get rid of their extra (at my going rate of $30), went into the amphitheater and made a beeline for the bathroom. When I got out, the masses were rushing to the seats and the crowd was quite loud, and I found a spot on the lawn as the band was taking the stage and kicking into the opening notes of Everyday without a single wasted second.

The show was great through the first handful of songs, which included What Would You Say and Say Goodbye. There was the by now typical mid-show lull, when they played some newer stuff and songs that I just don't get into. It was easier to take this time because it was sandwiched by great jams on Crush and Jimi Thing. They only played one really new song, as in unreleased as of yet, Break Free, and I am really digging that tune! The main set ended with Louisiana Bayou, a good song that gets the full jam treatment live, but I was holding out for Tripping Billies, a song I haven't heard live for a few years now. After a solid Pig to open the encore, they predictably ended with Stay, but on this night they ruined that song for any future performances ever. As the song was ending, with the thousands of repetitions of "Don't it, make you wanna, stay," fireworks started going off right over the lawn! Not that they were necessarily timing it, but it was still cool to hear "Don't it," BOOM "make you wanna," BOOM "stay" as the song wound down. When it was over, Dave said "Thank you very much, good night. Enjoy the fireworks," and they continued for about ten minutes! The video screens showed American flags and Jimi Hendrix' version of The Star-Spangled Banner played over the PA. A very cool thing for the band to do for their fans.

Overall it was a good show and the band was clearly in a groove all night. Not among the best DMB shows I've seen but probably in the top third. It was a good time as always on the lawn and the energy was high throughout. Judging from the setlist, the jams, and the vibe of the evening I'd say the DMB concert experience is better now than it has been the last couple of years and I am quite interested in checking out the shows in Charlottesville in a couple of months.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home